Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221219 - 18/03/2002 23:37 Did I Reach "The Limit"?
ReverendPoppy

Everything seemed to work fine until today, when I ripped 7 new albums. I'm now up to 6,682 files taking up 27.5 GB of disk space, and the receiver is permanently stuck on "Initializing". Could I have found the limit bug?

#221220 - 19/03/2002 04:28 Re: Did I Reach "The Limit"? [Re: ReverendPoppy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Probably not. If you've reached the limit, it'll manifest itself in one of two ways:

1. The player will reboot when you attempt to list tracks by title.
2. The server software will reboot when you attempt to rebuild the database.

If the server software is still running, then you've probably got another problem.

#221221 - 19/03/2002 13:32 Re: Did I Reach "The Limit"? [Re: Roger]
ReverendPoppy

Thanks Rog! It's nice to know my problem should be fixable. Does anyone know what the actual limit is? Does anyone here have more music on their machine than I do?

#221222 - 21/03/2002 16:06 Re: Did I Reach "The Limit"? [Re: ReverendPoppy]
Fiddy
new poster

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
well after combining my new roommate's collection with mine, we've got a total of 14,864 tracks...

The server was able to get through the indexing of all the tracks with no problem, but the receivers have the reboot problem (if you try to play all tracks). We're still able to go into an artist and play all the tracks within an artist though (haven't gotten around to creating playlists yet).

So looks like you've got a bit of room to grow
You might want to check your ID3 tags to see if there's any odd characters, I think there was a post from someone that said odd characters could cause problems. (not sure what they meant by odd characters, but I'm guessing anything outside normal printable characters (i.e. the graphics chars over ASCII 127 or the control chars under ASCII 32 but that's just a guess)

(By the way, the server software will die on indexing somewhere less than 33,000 tracks, first day I got the receiver I just had to try it out right away and forgot to limit the search paths)

~fiddy